Tuesday 8 September 2009

What, no rain?

The weather forecast predicts three days without rain. After six weeks of constant downpour this feels like heaven. Apparently we have had three times the normal amount of rain for August, in fact the heaviest rainfall since 1984. Part of the main road to Glasgow washed away yesterday but now, at last, the clouds are lifting. It's time to start assessing the damage and deciding who's a garden hero and who's a fainthearted pushover.

“Pushover", is just the word for my white lavateras. Such a disappointment, at the first hint of rain and wind in July, they took a dive like a team of premier league footballers, and lay there wailing for the rest of the Summer. Oh they bloomed alright, but what's the point of being covered in flowers if you're whimpering on the ground and the insects are ignoring you? There will be no annual mallows present on any of the tiers next year.

I still, however, have half a packet of seeds and am gardening on a budget so can't afford to waste things. I may plant them in large containers at the front of the house in spring. This is concrete wasteland at present, where nothing grows and nobody goes, so their lack of attraction for insects won't matter. There are sheltered places I can put tubs and they may soften the house's rather austere first impression.

I said, "nothing grows", out the front, that is not strictly true. The pots of fuschias, pelargoniums and surfinias did eventually put on a show but it was a pretty poor effort. I did like the blend of lilacs, lime greens and yellows but the number of flowers was not worth the effort, so next year there will be no more tender bedding plants.






Instead I am going to try collecting seed from my bidens. These have worked so hard. Through every dreary day of rain they have been a band of gleaming yellow on the second tier, promising sunshine to come. I think I will plant them up with the blue pansies (if I can get them to set seed, not a certainty in this climate) and lobelia.

I mentioned this little self seeded lobelia before. It has lapped up the rain and put on a show of flowers when everything else was lying stunned on the ground. I will try to collect seed from this but also still have some old packets of bush and trailing lobelia from my Tilly days. I stopped growing these because I was always away during the sunniest periods and they dried out too rapidly, turning into miniature haystacks which never recovered their bloom. That is not going to be a problem at Midge Farm, so I will try the old seeds in spring and hope they germinate.




9 comments:

  1. You have posted wonderful picture of flowers that is appreciated. Keep it up the good work. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote with such passion about the white lavateras. For them to take a footballers dive and stay down for the rest of the rainy season is excusable for being very skinny. The rains too heavy for their tiny stems.. haha. But they bloom to say they are Okey!!
    Cheers ~bangchik.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These flower pictures are lovely and I especially like the flowers by the stair case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Flowers (good name) thanks for drooping by and for your kind comments.

    Bangchick and Kakdah, mellow defenders of the lavatera! You are quite right; I need to select the plant for the position. I hope these will be happier next year in pots, at the front. Their flowers are very pretty but I wonder why the insects ignored them. Not a single butterfly or bee or hoverfly ever settled on the lavatera, though there were plenty of them busy on the humble selfheal and poppies. Good to see you here. Cheers Yan

    Autumn Belle, thanks for visiting and your comment. I’m glad you liked the steps it’s a bit jungley now but I love the combination of colours and textures. Yan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time I see a white lavatera I will be thinking of Wayne Rooney :) Great to see a spell of dry weather and some sunshine at long last. Welcome to Blotanical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo Anna, funnily enough Wayne Rooney has always made me think of potatoes. Lavatera are a definite improvement. Isn't it lovely to see the sun? Thanks for commenting. Yan

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely flowers. i just love this blue pansy. and who would believe that out of 25+ various color combination of pansy we grow each year in spring, this color is rarest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Muhammad. I didn't know the blues were rare. These really have been that intense blue colour, it's not a digital distortion, and they have flowered non stop from March onwards (apart from when the slugs ate them). Wonderful, happy plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blues in those are great! keep up the good work.
    http://growmoresquared.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete