Friday 18 September 2009

A warm welcome




I inherited this minature climbing rose with the garden. Last year it struggled, put out two flowers then dropped all its leaves and remained a brown twig for the summer. This year it has done a little better and an unexpected week of sunshine has encouraged the last buds to open. I checked the label yesterday and discovered it was called Rosa Warm Welcome. So here is a warm welcome for everyone visiting this blog and a thankyou to all the blotanists who have made me so welcome at blotanical.com.

It's been a soft, silvery day, a hint of drizzle but no real rain, for which we are truly thankful.














I'm looking at my garden with fresh eyes. This ordinary geranium now reminds of a rock rose I saw when Amy (Go away I'm gardening) took a walk around Zilker Botanical Garden in Austin.



















I wish I could remember which blog showed the clouds of white Japanese anemones. They were beautiful. There is a pink anemone in Gururajr's Japanese Garden (natch) that could be a sister to this one, though it doesn't have the bird droppings that mine have accumulated. I wish you could get no mess birds to go with the no mess bird seed!














And I know I have seen some lovely calendulas somewhere exotic recently, but my simple brain refuses to give up any more details than that. Never mind, these simple plants give simple pleasure simply everywhere.









5 comments:

  1. More wonderful pictures - and the sun is shining... makes a change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the calendulas, great pix.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Charlotte and Scott, glad you liked the pics. We're back to the rainy season now but the sun was great while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew calendula for the the first time this year. It's such a happy looking flower but I was surprised to find the plant is kind of sticky/tacky and leaves a residue on my fingers. Won't stop me from growing it next year though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda, interesting comment about the calendula. I wonder if we grow the same variety. I tested mine this morning and didn't find them sticky. The leaves were hairy and had a crisp, almost geranium-like scent when bruised. You're right, they are lovely, bright plants and flower so well. Definitely, they will be back in this garden next year.

    ReplyDelete