Thursday 3 September 2009

fried green tomatoes

It's September 3rd and I have two plants covered in green marmande tomatoes. Its unlikely they will have a chance to ripen outside now.
Lots of recipes for fried green tomatoes on the web so thought I would give them a go. I cut each tomato into three thick slices, dipped them in egg and coated with flour, seasoned with smoked paprika, cayenne and tumeric, then shallow fried coated slices in veg oil. Verdict: OK, nice texture, but a bit flavourless. Won't repeat, may just lay out all green toms in a dark cupboard and see if I can have a supply slowly ripening through the Winter.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking tomatoes! wow!
    I tried some of those fried too not too long ago and I too found that they are better red. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello PainChaud, thanks for drooping in, and commenting. Yes the marmande are huge. It’s such a pity they didn’t ripen but I have a recipe for green tomato curry sauce which I am going to try next. Cheers Yan

    ReplyDelete