Friday 7 August 2009

That effing cat

I was having a peaceful coffee this morning when I noticed that Smudge, instead of acting as the usual tonne weight furry anchor on my knee, was showing unusual interest in the fireplace. Suspicious that Wall Watch may have been a successful overnight operation, I got down on my knees and inspected the stove just in time to see a mouse tail and hind quarters whisking up a gap in the side panel. He is now sitting in the inner workings of the stove and I have no way of dislodging him. Smudge, after spending an hour eyeing the panel and dubiously poking it with her paw, has walked away from the whole business with a flick of her tail. Apparently equal division of labour means she catches wildlife and brings it inside but there her responsibility ends. If I'm ungrateful enough to be in bed snooozing when she drops her trophy on the floor, and it sets up home in the back of a multi fuel stove, then it is entirely my own fault. I think I'm going to have to get a humane mouse trap and set it overnight or I won't be able to light the stove again.


Wall Watch in Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment