Saturday 29 August 2009

"mists and mellow fruitfulness"?

Hah, more like "rain and mildewed fustiness", but there are brambles ripening on the top tier. Crumble tonight, yum.


Six solid weeks of rain have even beaten the sea holly into submission. So what is suited to this garden apart from weeds and rhodies?
Well, the Japanese anaemones seem to be thriving at the moment. I'm really taken with this little glade. It was full of woody overgrown heathers when I arrived. (In fact you can see them in the blog heading photo.) Now there are delicate anaemones and some self-seeded nasturtiums in the foreground, pansies peeking through ferns at the back, and calendulas and poppies like patches of dappled sunlight to the side .
And a small glut gloat:

4 comments:

  1. Your father is not happy about the gloat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell him not to worry, I've found blight on the sungolds, had to throw away five fruit. Have cut off any offending leaves and as much affected vine as I can without losing what seem to be healthy fruit. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet, take off all the green fruit now, to ripen in doors, and bin the plants to stop it spreading elsewhere.

    .........stands shaking fist at grey sky and going gahhhhhhh at the rain.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure it's blight? Not just the effects of this awful weather? Can't see how blight could have arrived at your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure, will post a few pics. Next door had something that killed all their tatties early in the Summer. I suspect blight and I think the organism can cross infect to tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete