Saturday 3 October 2009

camera-less

I've been using a little point and click kodak, good enough for a beginner like me but didn't do close ups very well, tended to focus on things behind the object I wanted and nothing would persuade it to change its mind. I took it with me to Belfast last week and it was still in my bag when I went North this week. All that travel seems to have fried its chips, when I turned it on today the screen showed a blank field of white with just the odd ghostly outline. A couple of weeks ago this would have meant the end of blog photos but my work worries are almost over, so I'm going to celebrate and buy a new camera. No point choosing something fancy whose features I won't understand. I've decided on a Canon powershot A480. It has a 1cm macro, allegedly focuses rapidly and has a short time between shots, all things I have found lacking with the kodak.

That's not to say it hasn't done a good job over the summer and produced images that sometimes surprised me. I love this bee flying up to the foxglove with its tongue hanging out; the snub nose of this painted lady against a riot of azalea flowers; and the way the light catches this con trail.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh... these are lovely photographs. Love the blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canon Powershot is a very good brand. I think this is a good choice. The photos here are great and at Blotanical, we love photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I spy a new avatar on Blotanical? A most charming one... at that!

    Waiting for the rainy season to begin.... no sign of it yet :~D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lottie, Autumn Belle, unfortunately I'm still camera-less so no new pics. The canon arrived from amazon but the macro didn't work so back it goes.
    Hi Alice, yes I was playing around at Blotanicals last weekend. I find it too tempting to spend hours there so I've decided to limit visits to the weekend. Hope your rains have come and if you ever want to borrow a cat I know an incontinent, geriatric tortoiseshell I could parcel up and send off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is going on in that last picture? It looks so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo Sylvana, sorry I missed this question. It's just a con trail that is catching the morning sunrise. I took it because it looked so unusual, as if someone was firing rockets at Glasgow.

    ReplyDelete