Tuesday 20 October 2009

Cat mint

This cat mint grows in my Gran's garden in Shropshire. It has always attracted cats. At the moment bad boy Thomas is luxuriating in the growth and flattening the plant (thanks to Mum for the photos).


When I moved to Tillicoultry and the small patch of builders rubble that became my first garden, Mum gave me two cuttings of the plant. They struggled after planting out because Smudge the Incontinent loves cat mint and reduced both cuttings to little hairy twigs sticking out of the ground. I had to put cages over both of them to allow them to establish. Once protected they grew into beautiful robust plants that Smudge adored and which attracted all the neighbours' cats.
Smudge, head down in the mint sniffing ecstatically.
Miss Milly giving Smudge "evils" from the garden wall, she wants that mint.
Eventually I moved from Tillicoultry to Argyll. I divided the mint and took two healthy chunks with me. One clump did not survive the transfer to the pot, the other thrived for a short while until Smudge found it in it's pot and reduced it to a hairy twig once more. I planted this mint on the third tier with the periwinkle and potentilla. I couldn't protect it with a cage on the steep bank and it didn't survive the affection lavished on it by fatty and various visiting felines.
Luckily Carol at work had grown several cat mints from seed and gave me one of her thriving plants. I planted this in a difficult, shady, damp area on the first tier and it has romped away, mainly because the cats have ignored it. Apparently it lacks the attraction of my Gran's special Shropshire catmint. Looks just as pretty to me but then I'm not a catmint junky.

5 comments:

  1. OMG, I love cats! Really miss having one at present.
    How can I blog properly without these garden companions ;-(
    Need a cat sitter???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have given up on catmint, mine just becomes a flat (hairy) mess, and I don't even have cats. My back yard has become a hangout for cats high on catmint, don't they know to just say no!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just loved this post, mostly because I like gardening and cats.

    Maybe catmint is like wine and only cats can determine which one is a "fine catmint" rather like we humans can pick out a "fine wine".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, hello, Alice you're welcome to sit on Smudge, my little fountain of pee, any time you feel like it.
    Debora, I now have a mental picture of your yard full of cats lolling around going, "oh yeah man". If you enlarge the 2nd pic of Thomas you can see he in his eyes he is totally spaced out.
    Hi Noelle, yes, there is definitely a difference in quality between the mints as far as Smudge is concerned, to the point where she has killed one plant and totally ignores the other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWww..what a Beauty!! Stunning photos and.. my gosh.. what a sweetie pie..and all that beautiful catmint! Such a lovely post! I am smitten!

    ReplyDelete