Monday 29 June 2009

My bees have bugs








I was going to write a post about the different bumble bees in the garden (I think at least three types) but when I came to look closely at my pics I realised they were carrying a hefty load of mites. The "big-stripey" at the top has two under its wing and the "wee-ginge" has two clumps of three just above its waist. Panic set in, as I had heard about bee declines and the varroa mite that was killing honey bees, but a quick google revealed that these do not affect bumble bees. In fact it is quite natural for bumbles to bumble around carrying lots of hitchhikers. One site even suggests the mites are beneficial because they clear detritus up in the nests. Hmmmm, I can't help think a population of mites that size has got to be debilitating. I suppose they establish a natural balance but in proportion to the bee's body it would be like having two mites the size of your fist stuck in your oxter. Yuck. Google is wonderful it even gave a link that tells you how to clean up any debilitated bumbles you find that can't cope with their mites: http://www.uksafari.com/bumblebees3.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment