Wednesday 9 December 2009

Worm worries

I opened up my compost bin last week and found worm city central. There were dozens of them, all sizes but I think mostly the same species. I have never seeded the bin with any worms, so they have arrived naturally but why were they so far up the bin?

















Why were they under the rim? Are they trying to escape? Aren’t they happy? Could it be too acid? Too wet? I live on a vertical bog and it had been raining for weeks when this pic was taken.

















I’ve had plastic compost bins for as long as I’ve been gardening (nine years) and have never seen the worms so obvious at the top. It makes me worried that the lower layers are inhospitable.


Since then we have had a cold snap with a week of frosty nights. I opened up the bin this morning and there wasn't a worm in sight. I guess they were all deep down looking for insulation.

The cold, clear weather produces some fabulous sun rises.

















Some soft and serene,


































some dark and dramatic,



































The freezing temperatures have brought more birds into the garden. There are now five blackbirds, three boys and two girls. They don't share food. I can't work out who is top bird but the two girls are definitely at the bottom and constantly being rousted off titbits by the boys. They'll regret it in the Spring when someone is birdy-no-mates. I suspect it will be this lad. He seems to have missed the class on posing with attitude which the others have all taken. I know it's not a good pic but I was laughing as he was jiving, so there was a lot of shoogle.

These cool boys show Daffy how it should be done.









6 comments:

  1. Where are all the worm behaviorists when you need 'em ! :P Good Lord, your sunrises are absolutely stunning ! :)

    The cool boy on the wall has definitely more poise than the other chap ! lol.
    Great pic, btw, speaking of which, I couldn't help but notice you went for Panasonic instead of the Canon A480 you had in mind. The FZ38 has been getting great reviews. Care to share a comment ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Miss M, thanks for stopping by. I think this post got buried by the snow. I'll have to try the worm question on the blotanical forum. I did order a canon but when it arrived one of the cursor buttons didn't work. The controls felt plastic and flimsy, having one not work when it was brand new was a bit of a red flag. I sent it back and had a rethink. A friend, who is a keen photographer, thought a bridge camera would be more appropriate for my needs and recommended the panasonic. An excellent recommendation. I have been astonished by what the camera can achieve even with a complete ignoramous at the controls. The automatic mode gives all the security of point-and-click and produces great images. A quick tutorial from my friend on the programmable mode has allowed me to play around with a range of zoom shots for the birds. I love it and am still learning about all the features. I think it would be hard to get a better camera for the price (£238 on e-bay).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking sunrises ... they remind me of some of the ones I see here in Western Massachusetts. Yours are more dramatic I think and you have the added wonder of water! Beautiful post and your birds shots are great too! I am envious of your worms! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw you comment on Shirl's Gardenwatch and nipped over. By the coloured bands on your worms they look like tiger worms to me (named because of the striped look). They live nearer the surface unlike earthworms which tend to go deeper down. Tiger worms are used in wormeries to make compost as they are very good at the job. I have them in my wormery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo Carol, thanks for stopping to comment, sorry I didn't get back here sooner. I must learn to check more than one post. I noticed you posted some gorgeous sky shots particularly the sunrise in your blog heading.

    Hi John, lovely to see you here. Thanks for the comment on the worms. It does alleviate some of my worries but I'm still concerned that several of them were under the rim of the bin. Perhaps they were just taking time out from all the composting work. Anyway I'm v. happy I've got good worms for compost, wonder where they came from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiger worms seem to be quite adventurous. They climb all over the inside of my wormery and under the lid if they can, just like yours are doing, but the composting still gets done.

    ReplyDelete