Wednesday 23 December 2009

More snow, cat and birds

It snowed on and off yesterday, quite heavily in the afternoon.

















I ventured out after dark to empty the kitchen caddy into the compost bin.
I was followed.





She wouldn't walk in the unbroken snow, only on my foot prints.





















I could almost hear her muttering, "Are you kidding me? All the way up there? My paws are frozen."
" Seriously! I'll come but you've got to carry me."








I'm not sure why she followed me. She would probably like the caption to read, "Plucky little cat ensures owner does not disappear in arctic conditions," but the reality is more likely to be, "Greedy little cat keeps an eye on meal ticket."
If I did fall over and freeze to death in the garden. I would be found in the morning, with the cat sitting on me, complaining that her seat was cold and her breakfast was late.

Another freezing night left the birds all fluffed out to twice their normal size,



hopping from one foot to another because their toes were cold.






The robin was swearing at everyone. He thinks the feeding area should be for his use only.

















He did however strike some very pretty Christmas poses so I forgave him.

















Some of the shyer birds are now coming to the feeders, a greenfinch and a goldfinch visited today.























The spugs and chaffinches are still there in abundance, keeping the otter company.

7 comments:

  1. Makes me giggle to see my cats walk in each others' footsteps. They daren't step aside, even if it breaks their stride. Old Smudge was brave to make it half way !

    I must say, all cute things considered, a fluffed up robin is hard to beat. Your snowy garden looks wonderful, Yan. Happy Holidays ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thats just a typical cat isnt it - they are so fussy.

    I am amazed as always Yan with your bird photos - they are beautiful. I can never capture one as close as this. Your robin ones could feature on the front of a christmas card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Your little Robins are so precious... so different from our American Robins. Wonderful bird photos! Kitties are so funny in the snow... I well remember. Merry Christmas! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing that most garden bloggers have cats!
    Great Blog.
    Cindee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful little robin. I love how birds look all puffed up, don't you? Your cat is such a character....I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh ...what gorgeous pictures..I am so in love with all those birds!They are so beautiful...wow! And such a beautiul kitty..and paw prints in the snow..magical!Thankyou for such a magical post of beuaty and nature's creatures!
    Lovely!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miss M, I have to agree with you, the robin made me smile, he looked like a child's drawing of a bird, a little fluffy ball on stick legs.

    Ah Leaves, I'm afraid there's no talent to the bird pics. Although they are supposedly wild, they are used to being fed and very tolerant of my presence. The robin often follows me round the garden! Also I confess the pics of birds on feeders are taking through the kitchen window.

    Hi Carol, oh I think I saw your pics of American robins. They are much bigger birds aren't they? More muscular and leggy, not like our little podges. Hope you are having a lovely Christmas holiday.

    Hallo Cindee, thanks for stopping by and commenting. Yes cats and gardens do seem to be linked interests. I've been looking at your cat house. Luna is a beauty!

    Hi Noelle, thanks for your Christmas wishes. Yes, I think the birds have had a difficult couple of days trying to keep warm but they do look very funny when they are all fluffed up. They've had extra rations and I think from the numbers around we haven't lost any.

    Hi Kiki, thanks for your comment. Hope you are having a magical, beautiful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete