Sunday 10 January 2010

Nordic invasion

Never had one of these as a garden visitor before, in either Tillicoultry or Argyll. He arrived three days ago and since then has been continually rousting every other bird in the garden. He is indiscriminate in his bullying, little dunnocks, finches, thrushes, blackbirds, all are sent scurrying away. He seems to do it for pure devilment, as they know better than to approach him or try to nick his apple.

















He's a fieldfare, a migrant from scandinavia and very Viking in his habits, plundering, roistering and scaring the natives. I've decided to call him Thaw. So, when I shake my fist and scream, "Thaw, you effer," through the kitchen window, I accomplish two things. I'm scolding him plus giving the garden instructions.
I was blaming Thaw for all the apples disappearing. I seem to be going through three a day now but then I noticed him sulking in a corner.






At last, a native bird who wasn't scared of him. I put the apples out for blackbirds and I suppose this hoodie qualifies, he's a bird and he's black, though he seems to think I'm running a takeaway service.





I'm so pleased to see the song thrush, in fact, there are two visiting. They are usually far too shy to come to the feeders but for the last two weeks have been busy tucking in with the chaffinches and blackbirds.

















I thought I'd lost the cat. I realised I'd had hours of peace, no one mithering on and on and on......... why can't you make it warmer outside........ why is the conservatory door closed........what do you mean it's too cold .........open it now........immediately.........jeez it's cold in there.....why have you got the conservatory door open.......don't you know old cats are susceptible to cold.........why hasn't any fresh food been put down in the last 15 minutes..... oh you have put something down.......what is this rubbish........are you a cat poisoner...... don't you know cats only eat strawberry yoghurt licked from a dessert spoon........what's that in the oven......hmmm fresh roasted chicken breast.........who said cats only ate strawberry yoghurt....are you mad.

Like I said, an unusual period of quiet aroused my suspicions. I thought she might have sneaked through to the bedrooms when I wasn't looking and was either curled up under my duvet, or expressing her disgust at the inclement weather with her signature activity. Luckily all was quiet and clean. Then I started to worry. People have fallen and frozen to death outside, she is an old cat and a bit wobbly on her legs, it is very icy and we'd had more snow. I had visions of a sad little pile of orange and white fur slowly stiffening by her favourite compost bin. Outside and up those icy, snowy steps I went. I searched the garden from top tier to bottom tier. No Smudge.
You're right. Of course, she hadn't stuck so much as a whisker outside. Instead she'd found a new bed, with extra insulation, in this old box.

17 comments:

  1. What a hilarious dialogue with your kitty. I love the little thrush, his expression is somewhat humble and unsure in comparison to the fieldfare 'Thaw' who seems quite certain of himself. Great photos and writing! Delightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, you've caught the essence of both birds perfectly. The thrushes are very nervous and have taken a long time to brave the front line of the feeders. Thaw, meanwhile, stands with his legs akimbo, surveying his newly conquered territory. I could imagine him at the prow of a viking longship with a double headed axe under one wing and a horned helmet on his head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. It may have the viking attitude but it is a pretty bird. Let me know if the garden starts thawing and I may borrow your epithet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your cat thinks, makes me miss my kitten so much, cant have one while im travelling, will have to get a fix of cat magic from your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to see so many different birds there even in your chilly weather. And I know how cats behave! How often have I been running all around the house looking for my Bibi (the spoiled Siamese) to find her inside, half hidden under a cushion in a warm room. Of course it doesn't get too cold here. Thanks for your visit Yan. Nice to meet you and I'll be back to see how you are doing! Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smudge is a smart cat. What a fun post this is! I laughed at the Viking bird and the other bird who enjoys take away service. Thanks for brightening my day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless You for feeding the wildlife and for keeping Smudge warm and happy. Your birds are very differant from the ones we have here in the US.
    Happy 2010!
    Cindee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Yan,

    I love reading about the exploits of your cats and your pictures of birds. Isn't it funny how one type of bird always plays the bully in the garden?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's not a box, it's a portal to another dimension! Stilton is most excited, has packed his bags and asked me to let you know he is on his way. Cats and boxes, you just can't keep them apart!

    RO :oP

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the bird pictures that you have captured. Kitty is very smart and looked so cute peering from inside the cosy box. No wonder they say that cats have 9 lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smudge isn't daft, she knows how to keep warm in this cold weather. What a lovely bird the fieldfare is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Yan,
    love your bird photos. Your Smudge seems to have the same views on how a cat should be fed as my Smudge (mine's grey).
    Thankyou for visiting my blog and your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yan sorry its taken me so long to get over here - but is that bubble wrap in the box along with the Smudge? lol lol

    Oh thats just lovely to see a fieldfare in the garden - I would be so excited to have a visitor like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hallo thanks to everyone for visiting and commenting.

    Lona, it worked! The minute I started shouting, “Thaw you beggar,” through the window the snow and ice started to go. The fieldfare disappeared with the snow and everything is back to normal except the thrush is still a welcome visitor at the feeders.

    Hi Cat, you’re welcome to come along and adopt Smudge at any time. I’ll even through in some free bubble wrap with her.

    Hallo Sharon, thanks for stopping by. Your blackbirds in Tenerife look identical to ours, just a lot warmer. Does Bibi ever bother them?

    Debs, thanks for your visit and comment, glad you liked Thaw and the hoodie apple thief!

    Hi Cindee, aw, I get no thanks from Smudge or the birds, who all think I’m a bit inefficient, so it’s nice to get acknowledgement here.

    Hallo Noelle, you’re right about the birds, until Thaw showed up the blackbirds had dominated and bullied the dunnocks. What goes around comes around.

    Hi RO, a cat portal eh? All this time I thought she was patrolling the garden she’s been off playing in other dimensions?

    Hallo Autumn Belle, thanks for looking in. You’re right she is a smart cat, even with her own cat door she still has me jumping up and down to let her in and out.

    Hi Jo, how’s Leeds, out from under the snow yet? The fieldfare was very striking, I’m really chuffed to have seen him in the garden.

    Hi Blue, thanks for your comment. Another Smudge owner, I hadn’t realised! I’ll look out for photos of grey Smudge on your blog.

    Rosie, thanks for your visit. Yep it’s bubble wrap. I would have thought the texture would have put her off but she has adopted it as an official bed now. That makes eight official cat beds in the house and counting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post was so fun and charming...I loved all the photos..so beautiful! What amzing closeups..the blackbirds are charmers..well they all are!What a treat..lovely photos and beautiful post!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the litany of kitty complaining. You sure know your felines well. ;) Strawberry yogurt off a desert spoon! Smudge should be grateful... but being a cat, I know she's not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kiki, thanks for visiting, the birds are charming to watch but as Noelle pointed out little devils to each other!

    Hi Meredith, thanks for the comment, you sound like someone who is also bossed around by a cat!

    ReplyDelete