Thursday 21 January 2010

winter dreams

The loch is in a grumpy mood, grey waters whipped by squally winds and flecked with rain. We haven't seen the sun today, just layers of cloud in a permanent grey twilight. The cat, like the loch, is in a strop. There have been strangers in the house (joiners measuring the office), so she has retired to bed and will only open one eye when I speak to her.
We're both tired of Winter and dreaming of Spring.
Smudge is dreaming of wall watch and the dozens of fat mice she is convinced live in the mossy crevices under the bird table.



I am dreaming and drooling over my rhodies, azaleas and camellias. I was worried these plants would not survive the hard frosts. This is rhododendron blue peter, a gift from Mum and Dad last year.












I thought he was going to drop all his leaves but Mum assured me this was just a survival mechanism. He seems to have bounced back.









I hope those big buds haven't been frosted, in a couple of months they should produce clusters of frothy, spotted, lilac which remind me of orchids.
This camellia is a favourite.
It was in the garden when I bought the house, so I don't know its name. In the summer the leaves stick out horizontally like lots of little saucers. It wouldn't look out of place as a plant prop on the set of a 1960s sci fi series.
Here it is at Christmas. I hadn't noticed the leaves curling up like that before, another clever plant way of hunkering down and surviving the cold.



































It seems to be recovering, look at all those buds. Come on spring, come on, come on, come on.

















New plants. Rhododendron nova zembla, a Christmas present from my lovely nieces, arrived by courier with its compost frozen in a solid block.


















I don't know how many days it had been in transit but it must have been in some very cold vans. I didn't think it would recover but it went in the garage, by the window, for a couple of weeks until the temperatures rose and I think it has come through OK. At least it hasn't dropped its leaves, although some are a little frosted. I think I will plant it here, in front of the pampas, above Peter, if the soil is deep enough. It will produce deep red trumpet flowers with dark spots inside, which I hope will complement and contrast against Pete's frothy girliness.
Mum and Dad gave me this camellia sasanqua tanya, an autumn/winter flowering variety.


















It produces, small, pink, single flowers like a dog rose and will provide a romantic hint of colour when all else is muted browns and burnt greens in this garden. It is low growing so I think I'll plant it in the gap between this old tree stump and the log edging and hope to train it down over the rock.


















Great minds, because I had bought Mum and Dad this camellia sasanqua papaver and (of course) one for myself.

















It's another Autumn flowerer. This time a bush plant and supposed to be scented, a thing I miss from my Spring camellias. The flowers are similar to Tanya, a bit larger, softer, pale pink single booms. I'm not sure where to put mine. It prefers a sheltered site with warmth and light and well drained soil. Ho hum, not easy when all you have is a vertical bog plonked in the middle of a wind tunnel. I've been gormless again. When will I learn to buy plants for position not prettiness? I left both papavers outside over Christmas and they froze solid to the ground. I couldn't move either of them, so Mum and Dad had to go home without their present. Amazingly both plants seem to be OK. They did drop some leaves and others are looking a little burnt but they each have healthy looking buds.


















I think I have been luckier than I deserve. I should have looked after my newbies better.


9 comments:

  1. We've had the sun here in Leeds today, Yan. It looks a little dreary where you are at the moment and I know that parts of the country are covered in snow again, so we're doing well at the moment. It's amazing how plants survive the extremely cold spell we've had this year. How nice to have some new plants which will flower in autumn/winter. I'm sadly lacking in autumn display in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo, dreary is the word. I don't think anything does dreary quite as well as a wet January day on the west coast. Glad to hear you've got the sun and missed the snow this time around. Yes, I'm looking forward to having some new winter flowerers, if they survive. Why not try them in Leeds (if unlike me, you've got a sheltered, warm, well drained spot!)? Yan

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the cats I know, always hide when company comes, or become somewhat ornery. Your garden looks ready for spring to arrive. When will the Camellias start to flower?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yan, I can't wait to see you camellias flower. It looks like they will be loaded by the looks of all the buds. Do you not have any snowdrops?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous cat! I love your rhodie too ... those wondrous buds and leaves. The buds on your camellia are luscious. You have so much promise out in your garden Yan! So much green!! Lovely garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the place you plan to put the camellia sasanqua tanya is perfect! I look forward to seeing all these plants in bloom.Their beautiful buds are offering a lot of promise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A grumpy loch? I'm still able to be transported cross the pond each time I visit midgefarm;-)
    There's a mature camellia outside my front window. Someone planted it, and I'm guessing it was the original owner of the house. After 10 years of waiting for blooms to open that rarely do so, I now remove all flower buds except for 1 on most main branches. Last year I enjoyed a bit of a bloom, a bit more than nothing. My town is bursting with camellias blooming from fall into spring, but not in my garden :-(
    xo Alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Noelle, ornery Smudge and I are definitely ready for spring, unfortunately spring isn't ready for us, my camellias won't be flowering until April. I must learn to be patient and plant some things that do flower at this time of year.

    Hallo Deborah, I planted some snowdrops that struggled through last year and seem to have given up the ghost this year. I can't see any evidence of them. Perhaps something ate them or, more likely, I chose the wrong spot. They were to the side of the steps which can get very wet.

    Hallo Carol, glad you like the rhodie. I haven't really seen it in full bloom it had a couple of flowers when it was in a pot last year which were enough to catch my eye. So I'm really exicited about all those big buds. Hope they don't fall off!

    Thanks Debs. I like the position visually, I just hope the conditions are OK for a plant that is not very hardy! Fingers crossed. Maybe, if it doesn't thrive, I'll stick it in a pot and try to nurse it through winters indoors.

    Hi Alice, your town sounds gorgeous with all the camellias in flower already. Are they japonicas or sasanquas? Japonicas are very common in gardens around here and bloom riotously in April and May but we don't seem to have adopted many of the earlier flowering varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to see your update. Didn't realise you had so many camelias - they are my favourite, possibly being tea-related (!), absolutely beautiful flowers. I remember one of my biochemistry lecturers talking about vernalisation being necessary for seed germination in this country, so maybe that applies to bud formation. Chilling induces buds, which produce lots of flowers, for pollination and seeds...one way to ensure survival in the long-run. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete