Saturday 28 November 2009

A peachy November morning,

frosty and still.




As the sun warmed up, the loch was briefly filled with mist.


This weekend I've been able to stop for breath and look around. I planted Mum's teasels on the bank at the back of the garden some weeks ago.









You can't see them?
There they are. They seem to have established OK. This bank is always a bit of a mess and I'm going to leave it that way. There's a pile of broken planks and fencing under those cut rushes to the left, which I hope is providing winter shelter for assorted wildlife. I'm going to plant more native species to join the teasels by gathering seeds from hedgerows, starting with red campion. I also have a beautiful deep red buddleia which I'm going to put in next to the hebe. I was disappointed that the butterflies didn't spend more time in the garden this Summer. I hope the buddleia will rectify that next year. I was standing, thinking and planning and basking in the joy of a garden, when this little lady flew down and started feeding right in front of me.





I should know what these plants are, they've been a familiar sight since childhood, when we used to run the stems through our fingers to pick the dried seeds off but I have no idea of its name, some sort of plantain? I have thought of it as a pest in the garden. It springs up everywhere, is a real bully, swamping other growth when it gets going and is difficult to remove. I didn't know the finches fed on it but this little girl was tucking in and fearless even though I was standing very close by. I think she must be one of this Summer's fledglings there is something shiny and new about her. It looks as if I am going to have to let those bully boy plants stay, at least on the bank, if they feed finches.
She left when the blackbird flew onto the fence post to ask why he hadn't had his daily apple. I reckon it counts as one of my five-a-day if the blackbird eats them. Apples are bought, apples are eaten, job done.
Grumpy old Smudge came and sat on the compost bin and glowered at us both,






looking like a little furry ET. She doesn't like cold mornings, the frost nips her toes and freezes her bum when she sits down. I tell her it's not my fault but she won't listen.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my those first two photo's are absolutely stunning, so beautiful.

    RO :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The view is absolutely splendid ! What a privilege you have to gaze upon it every day.
    Fortunately, you seem to get alot of feathered visitors to your garden despite it being kitty-occupied.
    My salutations to the temperamental feline, btw. :)

    ps. Perhaps dock is the name you're looking for ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous view in the first photo. Poor Smudge doesn't look too happy with her choice of seat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo RO, thanks for the comment, it still surprises me how gorgeous the sunrises are. We see so little of the sun this time of year, so I think it compensates us by being extra beautiful.

    Hi Miss M, yes masses of birds. For some reason they are beneath the notice of her Highness (even when they poop on her). She is fixated on the fat mouse that lives in the wall and will ignore birds feeding on the table just above her head when she is on wall watch.

    Hallo Jo, thanks for dropping by. Yep, she makes her feelings known. She doesn't like the cold and blames me for not warming the garden up to the correct temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures are always wonderful.

    jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the views are majestic! But my favorite is your cat's first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that cat! She is marked similiarly to our kitty, Belle, and they share that grumpy attitude. Belle wakes up hungry, attacking my legs as I go to fill her bowl. Your view is fantastic! I wish I had it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your first two pictures are stunning and inspiring. Sweet kitty too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful pictures. The bird is certainly enjoying the seeds. The pictures of the loch are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love it when you include one of your cats in your posts. Smudge is such a character.

    I love Buddleiea and I hope it attracts lots of butterflies for you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your post. The pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the first picture, is it a sea or a lake?
    Regarding buddleia, I have 2 of them (violet and pink) and no butterflies on them... not more than on other flowers. Maybe I should try with another color of buddleia...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hallo everyone, thanks for all your comments, they are much appreciated.
    MissM, you're right about that plant, though it's not the broad lead dock I recognise, it is called a "spinach dock" also known as garden sorrel and it's edible, so at least with it growing in such abundance I am never going to starve.
    Jim, Tatyana, Carol, HHGardener and Ellie, thanks for the compliments on the pics. I wish I could say it was skill but it's all down to a beautiful location, co-operative subjects and a numpty proof camera.
    Janie and Noelle I have passed your comments on to Smudge who is sitting in her box glaring at me right now. Don't know what I've done wrong.
    Hi Alice, you should come, we have so many gorgeous gardens, very different from California!
    Hallo Vrtlarica. It is a sea loch, like a fjord. The West coast of scotland is very crenellated with long fingers of seawater pushing into land. We are very near the head of this one, so there is a lot of fresh water run off from the land, but it is still sea water.
    I hadn't thought that the butterflies might have preferences for the different colours of buddleia. I hope they like the deep red, maybe I should have stuck with the purple which I know they like!

    ReplyDelete