Monday 16 November 2009

Just the cat

I'm taking liberties with a garden blog by posting just about a cat. I could justify it by saying she shares the garden with me but "share" is the wrong word when she views me as some sort of inadequate servant/prey substitute.
She insists she has to drink outside. Water inside, from the tap, is not good enough. I suppose, she has a point, tap water is chlorinated and probably offends her delicate taste buds BUT she has rules for what she drinks outside. It has to be water from a particular plastic jug. There are plenty of vessels, bird baths, plastic buckets around the garden and even a water bowl especially for her, all filled with exactly the same rain water but none of them are good enough.
If I haven't kept her plastic jug filled with water, she sticks her head right to the bottom and makes a huge drama about being Very Thirsty, in fact Dying of Thirst, trying Really Hard to lick a few precious drops from the bottom. All this with a massive water feature two inches from her parched head and a water bowl right beneath her.


As I've mentioned before, her other garden pleasure is ambushing me. It doesn't seem to matter that the larch has dropped all it's needles, she still thinks she's invisible. I watched her doing the head wiggle that means she's about to pounce but wasn't quick enough to catch her taking off , so here she is just coming in, ears back, tail arched, for a quick ankle swipe.

Finally she may think she's Queen of the garden but the birds have other ideas.

What self respecting cat walks round with bird poo on her back?


One nil to the birds I think.

13 comments:

  1. This reminds me so much of my cats. They all love to drink "outside" water, often from the most unusual vessels. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. Your cat is such a character, you had me laughing. Cats are so interesting with their unique personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all fun and games, till the birds nail you. She is a cutey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. La Grande Incontinenta has got to be one of my favourite internet cats. She's fabulous ! Please, feature her as often as you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great cat! Enjoyed the post about her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's funny! I should ask my german shepherd dog if he wouldn't mind to have a cat in the house. But then, again, there are coyotes around... I miss our mischievous cat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a large,to a cat, pond. But they expect their dish of rain water to be kept filled. Regularly, as soon as it is empty, if you please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can tell who's the boss then :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cats certainly let us know who's boss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Cats!! Being without one at present, I go all soft and mushy when I see them, so I say, go for it. Kitty pics = o.k.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hallo everyone, thank you for all your lovely comments. I'm so pleased you all took the time to comment about Smudge. Of course, she knows she's perfect, and I am obliged to agree with her, but the fact that so many other bloggers have shown approval has swollen her head to such enormous proportions that it no longer fits in the water jug!

    ReplyDelete