Wednesday 8 July 2009

A rose reprieved





The garden is still surprising me. I had decided to take the struggling roses out. I have no memory of them blooming last year. They lost their leaves to blackspot early in Spring and were lanky looking sticks for the rest of the year. Hybrid tea roses may be perfect in the South of England but are not suitable for a midge farm in Argyll....or so I thought. I did nothing in the way of pruning or feeding them this year, saw no point as I was only going to dig them up, and look at the result. Big, bold, brash and beautiful and coming into full bloom just as the foxgloves die back. Perfect. They’re staying for now, I may even try a little TLC next year (though that will probably reduce them to brown twigs sticking out of a sea of mud again).

No comments:

Post a Comment